EF2Basics of optics
Engineers or senior technicians wishing to update their knowledge in optics or master the basics of optics
Basic knowledge in mathematics and geometry
• Understand the principles of optical systems
• Design and set up a simple optical assembly
• Participate in the elaboration of the specifications of an optical instrument
• Reflection and refraction of light rays
• Notions of rigorous and approximate stigmatism
• Simple optical elements and their combinations
• Genral properties of instruments
• Basic instruments (telescope, microscope, projection lens)
• Basics of photometry in optical systems
• Wave aspect of light.
• Interference and diffraction
• Basic laws of light propagation - Reflection, refraction
• Approximation of linear optics (Gauss optics) - Mirrors, Lenses.
• Basic properties of the centered systems (focal, afocal, aperture)
• Experimental demonstrations: total reflection, image formation, imaging under Gauss conditions ...
• General properties of optical instruments, examples
• Notion of focal length, magnification, angular magnification
• Pupil of an instrument, fields of view and depth of view
• Instrument Photometry Elements
• Experimental demonstrations: microscope, afocal telescope, projection lens
• Wave aspect, electromagnetic field, light vibration - Natural light, polarized.
• Interference: application to the characterization of optical system by interferometry.
• Diffraction and influence on the resolution of optical systems
• Influence of aberrations on the resolution of optical systems
• Experimental demonstrations: polarization, light interferences and diffraction, aberration
• Paraxial measurements on optical systems - Image formation by lenses and mirrors
•Basic optical instruments: bezel, finder, collimator, microscope
• Measurement of geometric and chromatic aberrations
• Interferometric measurements on a Michelson, a Fizeau interferometer (Zygo)
Courses and exercises
Interactive experimental demonstrations
Labwork on instruments
Next session: date to be defined
November 24, 2020 to November 27, 2020 and December 08, 2020 to December 11, 2020 EF2 | Basics of optics Palaiseau
- Thierry Avignon - Responsible for experimental ressources, teacher at Institut d'Optique
- Sébastien De Rossi - Professor at Institut d'Optique