Experimental resources in optics and photonics
Our training courses include numerous experimental resources in demonstration and in lab work
Laboratoire d’Enseignement Expérimental (LEnsE) All about photonics at your fingertips
The LEnsE carries out and improves upon numerous experimental demonstrations and the high-level lab work of the engineering school and the Continuing Education Service. These resources are developed in close collaboration with our teaching staff and with the companies’ needs.
Education through experimentation is invaluable in acquiring knowledge in all fields of optics & photonics.
Some examples of experimental projects
- Instrumental Optics: characterization of optical systems, front wave analyses, adaptive optics
- Sources and photometry: study of sources (LED lighting, current sources), photometric characterization, safety of incoherent radiation
- Optronics: infrared sensors (cooled or not), characterization of an objective in infrared, thermic cameras
- Lasers: study of laser diodes, optical parametric oscillator, pulsed and continuous lasers, laser safety
- Optical telecommunications: Erbium doped fiber amplifiers, numerical transmission, influence of chromatic dispersion, OTDR, noise measurement in fiber amplifiers, Raman and Brilloin effect in single-mode fibers
- Optical physics: interferometer with phase shifting, speckle interferometry, diffraction, holography, numerical holography
- Physics: quantum optics, source of entangled photons (Bell’s inequality), HOM experience (indiscernability) saturated absorption
Optical and mechanical workshops, technological tools
The optical and mechanical workshops make customized elements necessary in experimental projects for education, research, or research and development
The mechanical workshop and design office, designs and makes elements in the fields of optics, vacuum, and micromechanics with a wide scope of materials.
The optical workshop is specialized in manual polishing and in particular produces high precision-optics. Some examples:
Technological tools for advanced research and development and education
Segmented mirror “Chaussée des Géants” for Onera (metrology)
A technological platform, founded in partnership with Laboratoire Charles Fabry, Thales TRT and Ecole Polytechnique, dedicated in part to the teaching of micro- and nanotechnologies
A clean room dedicated to the applications of thin-film optics for the extreme-UV optics, but also comprising tools for a broader use