Technicians and engineers needing to work with lasers and asking for a first approach in order to work with lasers.
Learning outcomes : understanding of basic properties, knowing of laser technologies and experimental know-how. After the track, interns will be able to :
• deal appropriately with lasers for various applications
• interact with laser specialists or laser salers.
• understand a laser data sheet
• Laser physics and non linear optics
• Properties, technologies and applications
• Pulsed lasers
• Laser safety
• Laser alignment (labworks)
• Laser characterisation (labworks)
• Laser propagation through opticals systems (labworks)
Lectures and tutorials
• Basic principles : light-matter interaction, spontaneous emission, stimulated emission, absorption, cross section, amplification, gain, oscillation threshold, output power.
• Non linear optic : principles and application to frequency doubling and sum frequency generation.
• Laser properties, gaussian beams
• Laser technology : gas lasers, solid state lasers, laser diodes, fiber lasers
• The laser market wordwide
• Laser applications : material processing, optical telecommunications, sensing, measurements, biomedical...
• Pulsed lasers : Q:switched and mode-locked lasers and related technologies
• Laser safety, effets on tissues, standards, caution of use
• He Ne laser : cavity alignement, observation and characterization of transverse and longitudinal modes
• Laser diode : angular and spectral characterisation, effect of the temperature and of the driving current on the output characteristics.
• Second harmonic generation in a KDP crystal
• Flashpumped Nd:YAG laser : energetic and temporal characterization, alignement and observation of differents pulsed regims : free running and passive Q-qwitching
• Diode pumped Nd:YVO4 in passive mode-lock operation : alignment and pulse measurement by autocorrelation
• Laser beam propagation through an optical system.
This track is based on three mains axis : basics principles, overview of technologies and experiments
Prochaines sessions, inscrivez-vous !
- François Balembois - Enseignant-chercheur à l'Institut d'Optique