SC5Optical fibres and applications
Technicians and engineers
• Capability in understanding the characteristics and the operation of both singlemode and multimode optical fibres.
• Learn about the optical fibre based technologies and applications
• Know how to implement an optical fibre based system
Basic in guided optics
• Total internal reflection, guided modes
Singlemode and multimode fibres and related technologies
• Operation principles and characterisations
Applications of optical fibres
• Erbium doped fibre amplifier and laser, Raman fibre amplifier and laser
• Optical fibre communication systems
• Optical fibre sensors
Refresher in Optics
• Light : photon and wave optics
• Basics in guided optics
• Measurment instrumentations
• Structures and characteristics
• Step-index and graded index singlemode and multimode fibres. Cutoff wavelength. Optical attenuation and chromatic dispersion.
• Dispersion shifted and compensated dispersion fibres. Polarization maintaining fibres. Photonic crystal fibres.
• Nonlinear fibre optics : optical Kerr effect, four-wave mixing, Raman and Brillouin scattering effects.
Optical fibres applications
• Laser beam transport. Pigtailed laser diodes
• Numerical optical transmission : noise detection, transmission performances, WDM systems and associated components.
• Erbium doped fibre amplifiers : architectures and characteristics, broad-band source.
• Nonlinear optical fibre. Raman fibre amplifier. Wide broad-band source.
• Optical fibre sensors : Constraints, temperature, pressure, acceleration measurements. Interferometric measurements.
• Erbium doped fibre amplifier and laser. Optical reflectometry. Chromatic dispersion measurement in a single mode fibre.
• Raman scattering effect in a silica based fibre. Brillouin scattering effect in a silica based fibre : amplification, slow light effect. Optical fibre gyroscope : measurement of the Earth speed rotation
• Set-up and characterization of a numerical transmission on a singlemode fibre : quality factor, bite error rates.
Presentations and exercises
Interactive experimental demonstrations
Labworks and practise with instruments
Prochaines sessions, inscrivez-vous !
- Nicolas Dubreuil - Enseignant-chercheur à l'Institut d'Optique